Chamomile belongs to family asteraceae and its botanical name is anthemis noblis and is reputed as medicinal plant. It is a low growing plant, root is perennial stems are freely branching leaves are divided into thread like segments which gives whole plant a feathery appearance. The fruit is small & dry. The whole plant is grayish green in color.
Extraction : It is obtained by steam distillation of chamomile flowers, There are two types of chamomlie one is roman chamomile (Anthem nobilis) & another is german chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla).
Properties : Chamomile Oil is grey or very pale blue & its aroma is bright, sweet fruity & herbaceous.
Components : Its main components are chamazulene, a-bisabolol, bisabolol oxide A, bisabolol oxide B and bisabolone oxide A.
Blending : It blends well with Bergamot, clary sage, lavender, jasmine, grapefruit, lemon, lime & ylang ylang oil.
- German chamomile oil is very powerful anti inflammatory agent due to presence of Azulene.
- It helps in inducing perspiration thus removing toxins.
- Chamomile oil relieves in fever by cooling down the body.
- If applied to hair it kills lice & mites.
- Owing to its antiseptic & antibiotic properties it eliminates infections.
- It also kills intestinal worms.
- It helps in overcoming of depression, sluggishness & disappointment.
- It helps in reducing blood pressure.
- They promote digestion by increasing secretion of HCL.
- They help in maintaining good health of liver.
- It helps in reducing swelling & edema.
- Chamomile oil helps to cure ailments like rheumatism& arthritis.
- It helps in diminishing the scars.
- It protects wounds or cuts from becoming infected.
- It reduces pain in muscles, joints, Headaches & tooth aches etc.
- They are good at expelling gas from intestines & stomach.
- They keep nerves & nervous system in a state of good health.
- They tone up skin & muscles.
- They help cure acne.
- They clean up urinary system by stimulating increased urination.
- They help in curing viral infections.
- It is added to massage oil for relief of muscle discomfort after exercise.