It is an evergreen perennial aromatic herb which is also called check berry, mountain tea. It grows in almost all soils, under all conditions; plant grows up to height of 15 cms. It has long, oval & glossy green leaves & its flowers are white. Its oil is used for many health problems and stems of the plant are chewed by people around for healthy gums.
Extraction : Wintergreen oil is obtained by steam distillation of leaves.
Properties : Oil has sweet & fresh scent and is pale yellow or pinkish yellow in color.
Components : Main constituents are alpha-pinene, beta pinene, methyl salicylate
Blending : It blends well with Oregano, mint, thyme & ylang ylang oil.
- It is used in flavoring of toothpastes & other dental products.
- It is used in flavoring of candies & lozenges.
- It is widely used in manufacturing of Aspirin.
- It is rubbed in muscles to get relief from pain.
- Its smell can cure headaches.
- It is used to flavor food.
- It acts as deodorant.
- It is used in aromatherapy to relax & uplift the mood but should be used in very minimal amount.
- It elevates sensory system.
- It helps prevent fungal & bacterial infection.
- It tones up skin & prevents acne.
- It also prevents dandruff & tones the hair roots & prevents hair fall.
- It increases frequency & quantity of urine thus removes toxins like uric acid.
- It stimulates circulation of blood & lymph digestion, excretion & the nerves.
- It is used to treat snake bites, dog bites.
- It is beneficial for infected & rotting wounds, sores & ulcers.
- It cannot be ingested but when rubbed on belly in minute quantity it even expels gas from body.
Safety & Precautions :
- Due to presence of menthyl salicyclate which is toxic it should not be digested, even when it is diluted as it can cause severe liver & kidney damage.
- Do a skin patch test before applying for first time.
- It is not recommended for small children, pregnant women & nursing moms.
- If allergic to aspirin, avoid wintergreen oil.